Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sticks and Stones...

...may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

This is a lie. Words can hurt the most and leave wounds and scars much deeper than those left by sticks and stones. Some words can leave festering wounds that only appear to have healed, but that can be ripped open with the tiniest whisper. Some words are deemed to have so much negative power that it is taboo to speak them.

They are words that strike at the core of who you are. They attack an essential aspect of your being, your make up, your you-ness. They attack a part that is integral in who you are, but also a part that you have no control over. A part that was not picked, but a part that you were born with. The part of you that carries all your family history and that part of you that will pass onto future generations.

The other day I was called a cheap Jew, after I had been told to take my star of David and shove it. It was hurled angrily at me by a person I considered a friendly acquaintance. It was thrown out with the sole intention of causing hurt and pain. It was a sucker punch to the gut, a low blow.

The hurt was instantaneous and the rage was only half a second behind. I was livid.

ASSHOLE! HE CAN GO FUCK HIMSELF!

Then the red haze began to lift and I realized he was sad and pathetic. He knew he had nothing else with which to hurt me so he went to this dark ugly place. He is unhappy with his life and chose to lash out at me in such a way because that was his only weapon.

And that is when I realized all he warranted from me was pity. He is a sad, small little man. He is nothing to me and he doesn't matter anymore in my life.

My Jew self is awesome!

And P.S. Jerkface, I'm a broke Jew, not a cheap Jew. There's a difference, learn it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Words sting like a bee!!! Such a harsh thing for one to say to another. I'm sorry you had to hear that hun. Glad that you came out strong and are embracing who you are :)

Lin said...

You're right, words sometimes do hurt more than stick & stones. I'm glad you didnt stoop down to that A-holes level. You're way better than he will ever be & I'm glad your proud of who you are.

It's unbelievable how petty some people can be. It's pathetic, he's pathetic & you're GREAT :)

Miss Rosa said...

I recently had someone say some pretty low things to me to and it does take a little bit to realize they only said those things because it's all they had to work with. Keep strong and you'll be fine!

Gabby said...

I love your Jew self...I know words can hurt like a bitch, but good for you for recognizing that he's the one with the problem, not you.

Living Dees Life said...

*hugs* and tons of love to you!

i don't konw of anything i can say or do to help you feel better but i'm here and i'm your friend and i think you're awesome!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

YOURE FUCKING AWESOME. there, those words cant hurt you :)

mylittlebecky said...

words can hurt and they can never be taken back. words can be apologized for but that person still said those words and you will always hear those words in your head. words can be weapons really easily.

point, becky? yes, there's a point. the point is i hear you on this one. AND you're fabulous!

Elizabeth Marie said...

total jerkface.

Don't mess with our E...the bloggy twins will come after you, JERKFACE.

 
The Perkster - Ramblings of a hungry fat girl. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino